Tropical Storm Alert, storm watch issued for the west coast of Florida as Eta approaches
Eta is flooding the streets and neighborhoods of South Florida.
Tropical storm Eta arrived in the Keys on Sunday evening and continued to advance. Rain flooded the southern half of Florida, leaving streets and gardens flooded.
Tropical storm Eta got a little stronger as it moved north to the northeast on Tuesday night, with the risk of flooding over southern Florida and a possible landing in the Florida Panhandle, meteorologists say.
Starting at 10 pm, the National Hurricane Center issued a tropical storm warning for the west coast of Florida from Bonita Beach to the Suwannee River and storm surge monitoring from Bonita Beach to the Steinhatchee River, including Tampa Bay and Charlotte Harbor. The Dry Tortugas are also given a tropical storm warning.
The Gulf Coast of Florida is now under Tropical Storm Watch from north of the Suwannee River to the Aucilla River.
Earlier today, the NHC swung its intended course 150 miles to the east, which would send Eta to creak the west coast of Florida like a tropical storm all week before landing in the Panhandle on Sunday.
The storm could drench an already swampy South Florida until Wednesday, but forecasters aren’t expecting Eta winds to reach the southeastern coast.
Tropical Storm Eta is now well on its way to traversing Florida’s west coast all week. NHC
As of 10 pm, According to the National Hurricane Center, Eta was approximately 120 miles west-northwest of Dry Tortugas and about 315 miles southwest of Tampa with maximum sustained winds of nearly 65 mph with gusts over high, the National Hurricane Center. It moved north to northeast at around nine mph, and its tropical storm winds extended for 70 miles from the center.
While further strengthening is possible in the coming days, including the possibility of Eta becoming a hurricane, the storm is expected to start weakening Wednesday night or early Thursday, according to the Hurricane Center.
According to the hurricane center, the waves generated by Eta are expected to affect Cuba’s north coast, south, and west Florida, and the Florida Keys in the coming days and likely cause potentially fatal surf and tear conditions.
In terms of precipitation, western Cuba should expect to receive an additional 1 to 3 inches of new rainfall. South Florida should expect to see another 1 or 2 inches of rain, forecasters said.
The Hurricane Center estimates that Cuba’s isolated areas will have seen about 25 centimeters of rain in recent days in connection with Eta. In South Florida, remote areas will have seen 15 to 20 inches of rain.
“Flash and river flooding will be possible in the western Cuba until this evening, as well as landslides in higher ground areas. Additional flash and urban flooding will be possible in South Florida tonight, especially across previously inundated areas. Eventually, in parts of West Florida, the Eastern Florida Panhandle and North Florida from Wednesday through Friday,” forecasters wrote Tuesday.
Tropical-storm-force winds will also be possible at night in the Dry Tortugas and along the west coast of Florida in areas subject to a short storm warning until late Wednesday. Tropical storm conditions are also possible on Thursday in the guard area along Florida’s Big Bend.
The National Hurricane Center is monitoring a tropical storm, a subtropical storm, and a tropical wave. NHC
The hurricane center also tracks subtropical storm Theta, the 29th named record-breaking storm of the 2020 season and a tropical wave in the Caribbean.
Forecasters gave the wave an 80% chance of strengthening into a tropical depression within the next five days and a 20% chance of maintaining by Thursday. If it gets stronger further in a tropical storm, it would be called Iota.