Every successful clothing brand had to start somewhere. Today, most brands that we find in department stores had their beginnings as a small business; examples of literal “rags-to-riches” tales.
Levi Strauss had the idea of reinforcing pants with copper rivets to reinforce his iconic denim pants, which gave birth to blue jeans. What began as a way for workers to have sturdy wear is now an notably successful clothing line. Levi Strauss’s annual revenue for 2021 was more than $5.7 billion.
Lululemon, a yoga-inspired athletic brand for women and men, started as a design studio by day and a yoga studio by night. Over time, the small business grew into a brick-and-mortar store. Today, Lululemon is one of the largest retailers in the world, with a growth trajectory that leaves many envious. In 2011, Lululemon brought in $1 billion in revenue; a decade later, it generated $6 billion.
While launching your own clothing line may seem intimidating and challenging, thanks to e-commerce and online marketing, it’s possible to turn a small brand into a nationwide success.
Ricoma International Corporation is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of commercial and household embroidery machines. In addition to offering industry leading technology, Ricoma also provide countless resources to help new and exisiting custom apparel business owners succeed. If you have dreams of launching your own clothing lines, like Lululemon or Levi’s, Ricoma is here to help you.
Here are a few essential things to consider as you take the first steps in starting your apparel line:
Select a Custom Apparel Method
When starting your own apparel line, there are a wide variety of apparel decorating methods from which you can choose. Determining which method is suitable for your business is the tricky part, so it’s important for any new business owner to do their research to determine which method best suits their needs.
Financing Your New Business
Congratulations! You’ve given it careful consideration, talked to trusted family and friends, and have made the decision to go into the apparel business. Now, it’s time to explore the financial questions about being a new business owner.
What if you don’t have the money to buy the machinery? The good news is that Ricoma offers options that are budget-friendly and interest-free.
Here are four of the most critical questions about financing a Ricoma embroidery machine.
- What are the benefits of financing a machine with Ricoma?
- What financing options are available to you?
- How can you improve your chances of qualifying?
- How do you apply for financing?
While financing your new business venture may seem intimidating, Ricoma simplifies the process. In fact, 85 percent of their customers finance their machines, while the other 15 percent pay in full.
Marketing Your New Business
They say the best advertising is word-of-mouth, and in this digital age, new business owners have more opportunities to spread the word about their products. Many apparel business owners start small by attending local flea markets, neighborhood craft carnivals or fairs, as well as small, independently-owned boutiques.
From Amazon and Facebook marketplace to Etsy and Shopify, there are several e-commerce platforms from which to choose. Each platform presents its pros and cons, so when choosing the best one for your business, it’s crucial to identify your business goals and how you intend to reach them. The more you understand the ins and outs of your business, the more successful you can be on either platform.
Taking Control of Your Future
Every new business owner should conduct their research and due diligence to make sure that starting their own apparel line is the right step for them to take, and at the right time. Reaching out to other small business owners in the industry is an excellent way to get a clear picture of the challenges and rewards of being an entrepreneur.
Deciding to become a business owner is an exciting undertaking. After all, working for yourself gives you control over your own time and money. By going into the apparel business, you will be combining your passion for decorating and creating apparel into a money-making opportunity.
Ricoma International Corporation is a world-leading manufacturer of commercial and household embroidery machines. They opened their doors with one priority: helping decorated apparel businesses quickly and affordably meet their goals. Since then, the Ricoma name has boasted a presence in every corner of the world. For many years, they’ve been a preferred source for embroidery equipment, digitizing software, stock designs and all other embroidery needs. Now, their products and services are distributed in over 160 countries and across six continents through our global network of distributors.